Katsu Cafe


 I was driving around Katipunan searching for the next place to review and even passed by "Eat! Great Food" hoping that nobody would have to endure their version of "food." After a couple of reviews, it was really difficult finding a next place to review then I remembered my friend told me to try out Katipunan's own version of Yabu - Katsu Cafe.


I fell in love with the place the moment I walked in. The design and architecture of the place really made it look high end. It was one of those places that was carefully thought out to give the customers their money's worth. I must tell you now that the place isn't cheap but the food, ambiance and the overall dining experience was amazing.


Sorry for the bad pictures. I swear it looks so much better than this.
If you're a fan of Japanese cuisine and willing to pay a little extra, then this place is definitely the right fit. Just so you know, the place doesn't serve sushi but I believe Japanese cuisine defines itself beyond that and I don't think you're a true lover of Japanese cuisine if all you can associate with it is sushi.

The menu is pretty straightforward. Personally, I'm a fan of straightforward menus since there's no reason really to order unpopular dishes (all the more reason not to offer it anyway). The place is really pricey so it's not really a smart choice to go ala carte. All set orders are served with miso soup and a small salad on the side.


When I saw the word tempura sets, my mouth immediately salivated while my wallet was sure of itself losing a few paper bills. So you only live once right? The P290 the Prawn tempura 3 pcs set made its way to my table and my God...


 Doesn't the picture below just shout "great idea?!" To some this may seem like a typical order but for me, it was a masterpiece. I didn't have it in me to start eating because it was just so good to look at but when the stomach calls, you  have to answer. I started with the miso soup which was still very hot. Though my tongue was begging for me to drink it slower, it was too late. The inner beast was released.


 I drank it down so quick that I could feel my insides burning and that didn't even stop me. I grabbed the crunchy tempura and dipped it in the warm tempura sauce which I gotta say was the best tempura sauce I've ever tasted. The tempura was so crunchy that it would instantly absorb the tempura sauce. It was served with this steaming hot rice which was still kinda wet and sticky. I loved it eating it with the tempura. I spared not a single grain of rice, not a single drop of soup, not a single drop of tempura sauce not even the smallest tempura crumb. Not a single thought of regret. 


Aside from the sauce that came with the tempura, Katsu Cafe provides you with other condiments such as sesame oil, chili powder and their signature sauce (correct me if I'm wrong). Though the sesame oil and chili powder are the ones you find in those P88 Japanese stores (I believe), they are surprisingly good; even allowed me to make my own version of spicy tempura.

If you're like me, I try to make weird food combinations work. Even though the tempura dish didn't call for their signature sauce,it was enticing me to have fun with it. It even came to a point when I was spooning it on my plate and taking it in without anything else. You know what, I'm not even sorry!


So if you're looking to satisfy your cravings for Japanese food, head over to Katsu Cafe. I'm sure you're going to have a great time like I did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Foodie Hipster Copyright © | Powered by Blogger